John Updike

I always remembered the Witches of Eastwick as a particularly funny dark comedy. Bewitching and intriguing nonetheless, perhaps because of the numerous interlinked webs of lies and deceit. I can't remember when I saw the movie, but I knew I was a child. Considering that it was released in 1987, you can expect it to be raunchy and saucy, as typical of movies made in that era.

But this is really about John Updike, whom I read had passed away two days ago. I never knew he wrote the book, neither did I know he was a Pulitzer prize winner whose special interest lies in the American middle class, those of the Protestant Christian faith. I read several excerpts of his writting and I'm immensely curious to read his books. Not his famous Rabbit novels, which I'm sure I'll start on someday, but his darker novels. In particular the Henry Bech Collection -

"Never as big as Rabbit, but a genial antihero in his own right, Henry Bech is John Updike's fictional alter ego, a Jewish writer with a weakness for women and literary awards. " - Publishers Weekly.

Or Pigeon Feathers, which looks beautiful. 

There seems to be something awfully perverse and yet enchanting about him that I can't put my finger on.

Comments

Popular Posts