Zushi Bar


Just came across this place in Hungrygowhere and I thought it would be a good place to go since I have an insatiable craving for Chirashi Don (mixed sashimi and rice basically) and little money to spare.

It's situated at Blk 301 Serangoon Ave 2, on the ground level (very easy to find), and has ample parking as well. The only thing is that it doesn't have ample seats (only 2 tables) and it's mostly a take away joint.

There's a chiller in the shop where you can select sushi/sashimi sets, and a limited variety of drinks - Asahi beer, green tea, oolong tea, and water.

Yes it's affordable, you can order a serving of salmon sashimi for $4.80 (I think). Chawanmushi goes for $1.80, and I ordered my beloved Chirashi Don for $9.80. It looks something like this.



I know the sashimi looks really dull here, and to be frank, I took it from the chiller, and it looked like it's been there for ages. But to give them credit, I walked in at 8pm, near their closing time, so I can't blame them if their food looks bad. (The chawanmushi is on the left).

Surprisingly, the sashimi tasted fresh. It didn't have that 'left out for too long' taste, it didn't taste fishy, and I must say it's much better than Sushi Teh and quite comparable to say.. Shin Yuu at Greenwood avenue.

Unfortunately, Mr Sim, who didn't like seafood of any sort, ordered the pork curry bento ($8.80) and he hated it. Whatever.

Okay fine. I tasted it and it did taste like it was microwaved. So maybe cooked food isn't their specialty. 

You can see the packaging isn't that great either. Basically they serve it like it's a takeaway box from Cold Storage or Isetan. It IS a takeaway place however.

This is definitely a cheap and good place for sashimi, but don't expect much in terms of comfort presentation, and ambiance.

----

So you might be wondering why this review is up on Middle Class. Well it seems to be the most apt   erm.. platform. Imagine if I wanted to eat Chirashi Don everyday (I might if I could), well I would need to find something affordable don't I?

So lets say if I'm earning $2k+ a month, a bowl of Chirashi Don everyday for lunch and dinner would cost $20 x 30 = $600.

Yup that's still quite affordable. If I were to go to restaurant, that could set me back about $25 (with GST and service charge it would be $30). In a month I could be spending $1,800 on Chirashi Dons. Definitely not affordable.

So if I wanted to live a middle class lifestyle, I have to be quite frugal, especially with my insatiable and expensive food cravings.

Not that I actually belong to Middle class, I think I'm lower middle (or worse! ehehehe) judging from this definition I just found in a forum.

05 % Poverty class : Total family earning below $1200 per month. No net worth or negative net worth. need govt subsidies/welfare to make ends meet.
25 % Working class : Total family earning below $3000 per month. Little net worth or negative net worth. Ineligble for govt help. But probably get help from relatives.
50 % Middle class : Total family earning below $10000 per month. Some networth but all tied up in HDB. Would venture to say networth below $500K.
20 % Middle Upper class : Total family earning below $30000 per month. Networth btwn 500K-10M, Avg 50% of assets tied up in home. 
<0.1% Elite : Total family earning above 1M per annum. Networth 10M and up. Less than 30% of assets in home. There are about 10,000 such households in SG.

I've actually considered setting up another blog, with some smart name like Living on the Fringe, or Lavishness on a Budget. I actually had a name, but as with all great ideas, they appear and then disappear just when you need them.

So I stuck to this. Look out for more food reviews to come? I have set my eyes on the Resorts World Sentosa's Malaysian Food Street. Average price of a meal, about $6-$8.

Coming soon. Maybe.

Comments

Popular Posts