First World Problems

We all know what it is like to have a bit of extra money, and typically, the first thing most people would do, is to go spend it.

It's bonus time, and I do have a bit of extra money, but being the only breadwinner in the house, I feel reluctant to splurge it on extravagances. Yes I do think about taking a holiday, or flying to Japan, I love that place.

But I do know unexpected expenses do crop up, such as emergency medical bills, car repair bills, and so on.  So of course the best advice anyone would give is to save the money, or settle my debts first.



It's advice I have trouble sticking to. After all, what if I die tomorrow? Life is short right?

My cousin once remarked that the homeless always seem so contented and unperturbed about money because they simply do not need much.

I agree. They don't suffer from the first world problems we do.

It's frustrating, but now I do have to think about where to take my family to for a celebratory lunch (it's a tradition) and whether should I start ordering more expensive food for my beloved dogs, or should I get that $300 pet clipper I have been eyeing.

I think these are reasonable considerations. After all, none of it is really for me, I just want my family to live better.

And I do donate to pet charities. Over the last month, I've been donating to at least 5 needy shelters to help with their food and medical expenses.  But not enough, I feel.  I'm no philanthropist.

When I think about those people starving from hunger in other countries, I feel sick and guilty about what I'm thinking of using my money for.


Comments

Popular Posts